Type -1 diabetes! So, what is type -1 diabetes? It’s a very common, yet an increasing disease in the world. But most of us don’t even know how we got into it in the first place. Diabetes type -1 (juvenile diabetes) is a chronic condition in which the pancreas produces little or no insulin. This type is common in adolescence.
Here the insulin secretion by the pancreas is very little or none. Insulin is a hormone, that helps us to use our blood sugar. Therefore, not enough insulin in the body results in high blood sugar levels.
1. What Are The Symptoms Of Type -1 Diabetes?
Type -1 diabetic symptoms include increased thirst, increased hunger, frequent urination, and weight loss, etc. You may also experience some additional symptoms like Blurry vision, tiredness, and poor wound healing, etc.
2. What Is The Cause Of Type -1 Diabetes?
The real cause is unknown. However, it may be due to a combination of genetic and environmental factors. You are likely to get it if someone in your previous generation has diabetes.
In diabetes, the insulin gets low due to the autoimmune destruction of the insulin-producing beta cells in the pancreas.
Diabetes is diagnosed by testing the level of blood sugar or glycated hemoglobin (HbA1C) in blood.
Long-term complications of type 1 diabetes include heart disease, stroke, kidney failure, foot ulcers, nerve damage, skin sores & infections, high blood pressure, and eye damage.
Therefore, these patients take insulin externally in order to compensate for the body’s lacking.
3. What Are Diabetic Diet?
The management of diabetes also includes diet plans which play a certain role. This diet is consumed to reduce diabetes symptoms and avoid complications.
Diabetes diet plans along with proper exercise and insulin therapy are recommended, which further leads to a healthy lifestyle.
So you may ask, How do I select my diet accordingly?
With the help of (GI) Glycemic index. Glycemic index is a 100 point scale used to rate foods on how rapidly they cause blood sugar to rise. Food that can cause blood sugar to rise is given higher (GI) numbers.
For example, GI of water is 0, you get the point, right! So according to the glycemic index, you may select your food, that does not elevate your current blood sugar in case of type 1 diabetes.
4. Suitable Diets For Type -1 Diabetes.
In order to schedule your meal plan, the first and foremost step is to select a balanced diet and nutritious meals.
When choosing carbohydrates, you must be very keen on selecting the complex ones. Brown rice, whole wheat, quinoa, steel-cut oatmeal, vegetables, fruits, beans, and lentils are some of the complex carbohydrates.
These are rich in nutrients like fiber, vitamins, and a few proteins and fats. They slow down the absorption of glucose and helps to regulate the blood sugar levels. Avoid simple carbohydrates (white foods) like sugar, pasta, pastries, etc.
Fats and Oil
Oil can slow down carbohydrates absorption. But excess intake may cause other cardiovascular diseases.
However, fermented dairies like yogurt and curd are known to reduce such risks. Plant-based oil such as peanut oil, olive oil, black cumin seed , (karunjeeragam) oil, etc is recommended instead of animal fats.
Healthiest proteins like beans, lentils, peanut, peanut butter, black cumin seeds, peas, and soy foods are natural and plant-based.
Lean animal proteins like fish, egg chicken, yogurt, and curd can also be taken now and then.
Snaking on proteins can reduce our sugar cravings by making us feel full on the stomach. Avoid eating red meat and cheese.
Whole grains such as brown rice and oatmeal are low glycemic index foods and are rich in fibers. Barnyard millets (kuthiravali) is an ideal food for diabetes. Do not consume wholegrain bread or whole-grain pasta unless you are sure about the contents in it. In my opinion, don’t take the risk.
Overall, vegetables are very healthy. They are organic, natural, and tasty. Further, they add up nutrition and do not alter our blood sugar.
Starch-rich vegetables like potatoes, corn, and peas contain more carbohydrates than other vegetables. They should be consumed less in order to balance and maintain the overall intake of carbohydrates.
Green leafy vegetables, carrots, celery, cucumber, onions, peppers, sprouts, and tomatoes are fewer carb vegetables that can be consumed even 5 times a day.
Green leafy vegetables like spinach, cabbage, and kale are diabetic friendly and help to keep the blood sugar stable.
5. Meal plan for Type -1 diabetes.
- Fenugreek (Ventayam) water
- Overnight soaked almonds
- 2 vegetable moong chillas with green chutney and 1 whole boiled egg.
- 2-3 idlis with chutney and drumstick sambar (use less salt).
- 2 dosas with chutney and vegetable sambar (use less salt).
- 1 small cup of vegetable upma with chutney.
- Cucumber salad, 1 whole wheat chapati, any vegetable sabzi, ½ cup boiled sprouts.
- 1 cup vegetable oats up + 1 whole boiled egg or 2 boiled egg whites
Snack Before Lunch
- 1 cup cucumber, tomato, and carrot salad.
- Add a dash of lime, and garnish with coriander leaves and a few mint leaves.
- 1 apple or orange or 1 cup papaya or guava.
- Tender coconut water.
- A cup of peanuts.
- 1 cup of unstrained vegetable juice/1 glass bitter gourd juice.
- 2 medium-sized whole wheat chapatis, 1/2 cup vegetables, such as peas, cauliflower, capsicum, any gourd, green beans, etc., 1 cup of daal.
- Cucumber and tomato salad, ½ cup brown rice, 1 cup sambar with lots of vegetables, any vegetable curry with less spice or ½ cup fish or chicken curry with less spice, 1 glass mint jeera buttermilk.
- 1 cup vegetable daliya khichdi, 1 roasted homemade papad, 1 cup curd.
- 2 medium-sized whole wheat chapatis with ½ cup rajma/chole, ½ cup thin dal, 1 cup okra curry/ any other vegetable curry, ½ cup curd/raita
- Green tea without sugar.
- Baked snacks, homemade snacks.
- Roasted nuts like walnut, almonds, and pistachios.
- Black coffee.
- Filter coffee with less milk( no sugar). Half a cup of roasted chana.
- 2 medium-sized chapatis, any vegetable curry, 1 cup dal/paneer.
- Two medium-sized chapatis, chicken stew, any vegetable curry, except for root vegetables.
- 2 chapatis, ½ cup vegetable curry, ½ cup daal, ½ cup yogurt.Vegetable or chicken soup with 1 chappathi.
- Mixed vegetable curry, 2 chapatis, curd.
- Cucumber salad, 2 multigrain chapatis, ½ cup vegetable curry, Fish curry, or chicken curry.
1 glass of warm low-fat milk with a pinch of cinnamon or raw ground turmeric powder.
6. What Are The Foods To Avoid For Type -1 Diabetes?
In order to avoid an increase in blood sugar, you need to restrict yourself from consuming processed food and junk food.
They are unhealthy at the same time can cause other diseases when consumed in large quantities.
Soda is high on sugar that can spike your blood sugar level. Avoid processed or refined sugar. They are added a lot in white bread, pastries, chips, cookies, etc.
High-fat animal products and food containing trans fats have a high glycemic index.
7. Superfoods Of. Type -1 Diabetes
Some of the superfoods for type -1 diabetes are beans, greeny leaf vegetables, citrus fruits, sweet potatoes, berries, tomatoes, fish (sardine), nuts, etc.
- Kidney, pinto, navy, or black beans are loaded with vitamins and minerals like magnesium, potassium, etc. They are also fiber-rich food.
- Greeny leaf vegetables are low in calories and carbohydrates.
- Citrus fruits and sweet potatoes are rich in vitamin C and potassium.
- Berries are loaded with antioxidants, vitamin C, vitamin K, manganese, potassium, and fiber.
- Tomatoes are very nutritious and are rich in vitamin C, vitamin E, and potassium.
- Sardines and nuts are a good source of anti-inflammatory omega 3 fatty acids.
These superfoods, not only help in controlling blood sugar but also are rich in vitamins and minerals that are uniquely beneficial.
Bottom line message
Apart from diet plans, it is also important to take the correct dosage of insulin according to your carbohydrate intake.
Physical workout is significant for overall health and wellness. It also improves your body’s functioning along with its vitals.
In order to maintain your blood sugar levels
- Avoid skipping meals.
- Try to have meals at a regular time and interval.
- Pay attention to what you eat, its GI, and be calculative of the amount as well.
In order to buy quality products, choose Standard Coldpressed oil products. We sell 100% pure products that are made naturally.