Awww! Have you got extremely passionate when you catch sight of a baby’s soft tiny fingers and toes,their bulby eyes, blushing cheeks and pinkish lips. Well, everybody does!
From the moment of birth, your baby starts to recognise you by your smell, voice and face. She will give unbounded efforts to take care of her baby by bathing, playing, speaking ,singing and being much lovable as possible to create an emotional bond between her and her baby.
But do you know what works the most? Of course, it’s feeding everybody could have thought of! And the second hint is massaging! Babies especially premature and those with medical problems have amazing response for massage.
Are you thinking ” will my baby needs a massage if he is normal?” Trust me, it has amazing benefits besides creating a bond!
In western cultures, it is more likely that new parents will attend infant massage classes with an instructor. This practice is not a new phenomenon. Even mammals their cubs by licking and grooming them to encourage their body systems function properly.
So now, let’s get straight into the topic about the amazing perks your baby gains and what type of oil you could use for your baby to gain more!
Benefits Of Infant Massage
- Multiple studies have mentioned mother-infant interaction have increased many mothers who have performed massage to their infants.
- Bal Yilmaz and conk reported that the baby’s sleep duration have increased when their mother gave gentle strokes on her baby’s body and limbs.
- It positively affects weight gain and improves the mental motor development of babies.
- It reduces infant getting stressed and crying and promotes emotional regulation.
- Experts told that exposure to infant massage sessions resulted in an improvement in several head indexes such as weight gain, increases in length, head circumference, bone density and body temperature.
- It favours longer periods of active alertness.
- Aids digestion and help relieve colic, gas and constipation.
- As everybody knows, It prevents dry skin since the epidermis of the baby thinner when compared to adults.
- Even relieves pain and discomfort due to teething.
- Relieves nasal congestion.
- Boosts immune system and improves skin texture.
- Improve Blood Circulation
What Oils Should You Choose To Massage Your baby?
They are a numerous number of discussion going about the safest oil used for the baby. It is important to understand that baby massage is widely practiced among different cultures and each culture have their own perception.
1. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil contains oleic acid which is also present in olive oil which can strengthens your baby’s skin barrier.
They make layers of the baby’s skin more permeable means your baby’s skin barrier gets more open. The oil and water you put on your baby’s skin can get lost instead of getting trapped.
It also contains 48% of lauric acid and 9% capyrylic acid. However, it’s not fully recommended since there is no enough evidence.
The point is, it seems more beneficial and healthier than a highly perfumed product in which the strong scent affects the olfactory system.
2. Sesame Oil
Sesame oil is high in vitamins (A,B,E) and minerals. It has a high percentage of linoleic acids along with antibacterial properties. They are rich in Omega 6 fatty acids and dietery fiber.
They are good for promoting circulation throughout the body and help heals burns and wounds.
It is always better to choose organic coldpressed oils than processed oils since coldpressed types are trustworthy, no added preservatives and harsh chemicals.
Standard Coldpressed oils are here to deliver 100% quality sesame oil for your bundle of joy!
3. Almond Oil
It have good absorbing properties and have good texture. Almond oil is loaded with vitamins such as (A,E,B1 and B6).
Twice in a week massage is enough improve skin complexion and relieve dryness.
Almond oil reduce the chances of upset stomach and indigestion which commonly occurs in kids when they start weaning.
4. Chamomile Oil
It is important to note that essential oils ( like lavender and chamomile oil) should not be used on babies when they are less than 3 months old as per American Association Of Naturopathy Physicians.
Some few evidences shows that chamomile promotes sleep, so adding a few drops to bathing effects promotes sedative effects.
5. Can You Use Olive Oil For Baby?
Olive oil can develop allergic reactions! Once, olive oil became a trend among people for skin benefits and heart benefits. However, a 2019 study shows that oleic acid alone can cause inflammation. New research shows that olive oil can cause dry skin.
Points To Be Considered
- Massage should be strictly avoided if baby have received vaccinations within 72 hours to enable a baby’s body to process the vaccine.
- Mothers should remove jewellery and have short nails.
- Always do a patch test on a baby’s skin.
- Baby massage is practised from 8 weeks of birth.
- You can use coldpressed and virgin oils for better effects.
- Massaging a baby should also include interactive competencies such as emotional expression, eye contact, smile and vocal communication.
Originally posted 2020-05-14 11:17:18.