This topic brought me back to my childhood memories where my brother was so small to fit inside the children basket of the trolley when he took a handful of raisins packets and put in the trolley as my father was moving it.
Yeah,we take raisins much. We took them morning with milk, breakfast like pongal, payasam, kesari, snacks, homemade chocolates, fruit salads. A good habit of us was we even eat one or two raisins when the lunch turns out too spicy and when we are tired of drinking water.
Nice tip right ?
By the end of the article, you will come to the know the
- Source of raisins ( It’s not good to describe that “they are grapes which comes in packets” when your son asks you..It will be shameful right? )
- Vernacular names (Suppose you are in a shop at late night after work where the shopkeeper only knows his native language and you can’t describe it:) Too critical situation right? Well, it’s not difficult than to console your wife when she tells you not to come home without raisins!:) So it’s good to know the other names as well.
- Nature and taste (Raisins are favourite for many! The taste of them is more than I describe)
- Health benefits (You should know what you eat! What’s the Nutritional value behind it and how those tiny little things are beneficial for your body!)
- Caution (It’s good to know the contraindications before you get over zeal and consume them and got nasty effects!)
- Buying guide (At the end of the article,you will be impressed and wondering where to buy healthy,fresh,non preserved grapes for a reasonable price)
Let’s get straight now!
A raisin is nothing but a dried grape. Harvested grape berries are dried and produced commercially in many countries. Drying means that the water is removed completely from the interior cells of the grape to the surface of the grape where the water droplets also evaporate. There are three steps to commercial raisin production.
- Pretreatment– It is an important step in raising production to increase the water removal rate. New methods are developed such as exposing the great to dilute alkaline solutions and all expansions to increase evaporation rate.
- Drying – There will be three types of drying such as sun drying, shade drying and mechanical drying. Sun drying and shade drying are the most inexpensive processes whereas mechanical drawing involves microwave heating.
- Post drying- These grapes are washed with water to remove any foreign objects and when goes rehydration again, it undergoes another drying process. Sulphur dioxide is applied to the raisins to decrease browning.
Nature And Taste
Have you ever wondered why raisins doesn’t taste like dry grapes? Because the drying process concentrates the sugar content.
Golden colour dress in saree more fruit because they undergo mechanical drying and processed with sulphurdioxide to reducw darkening. Brown raisins can be dry and grainy.
- English : Raisins
- Tamil : Ular Dhraakshai / Kaintha Thratchai / Karuppudraaksha
- Malayalam : Kismis / Unakku Munthiringa
- Telugu : Kisimiss / Yendu Dhraksha
- Kannada : Ona Drakshi / Vonadraakshe
- Hindi : Khishmish / Kash / Drax
- Bengali : Kash / Kishmish
- Gujarati : Lal Draksh / Kismis / Drax.
Health Benefits Of Raisins
1. Good Source Of Potassium
The potassium in raisins helps to balance the salt content in our body. Excess salt content in our body will lead to high blood pressure. Thus, it reduces the risk of developing hypertension.
2. Good Source Of Fibre
Constipation is a condition of feeling difficulty when passing stools. The fibre content in raisins behave as natural laxatives and add bulk to our stools which relieves constipation. Constipation is a condition which occurs in young children as well as pregnant ladies and adults.
It’s a condition and not a disease! This kind of natural remedies are the best to cure the symptoms instead of taking laxative drugs. Note that overconsumption of raisins may even develop diarrhoea.
3. Boosts your Immune System
Vitamin C and B present in raisins helps to boost your immune system and reduced susceptibility to infections.
4. Loaded Source Of Iron
Raisins are great source for iron which helps in the formation of red blood cells in our body. Reduction of hemoglobin leads to anaemia and causes symptoms like fatigue, breathing difficulty, drowsiness and hairloss. Raisins are the best natural remedy for anaemia and recommended daily intake will surely give you a good result!
5. Flush Out Toxins And Minimize Acidity
The magnesium and potassium levels present in raisins will flush out toxins from our body and reduce acidity. The balance the pH levels of our body which will not lead to any gastrointestinal symptoms such as bloating and heartburn etc.
6. Aids weight loss
Raisins are fibrous (fibre) snacks which helps you to keep full till the next meal and aids weight loss and the sweetness present in raisins satisfy our taste buds in a short time! Simple tip right?
Caution to note:
Raisins are a good source of healthy nutrients and are easily added to our diet in a blink of an eye which makes the meal more flavourable! But it’s good to eat anything in moderation. Increased fiber intake may leads to diarrhoea.
Because of their small size, it is more prone for choking and small children can avoid raisins.
You get for what you pay! Our standard cold-pressed oils are here to deliver 100% fresh, well sun dried, no added preservative raisins to your doorstep.We are purely committed for your satisfaction and what to think more? Health is the best give anyone could give! Treat your loved ones with these best quality raisins!