This topic brings me back to the mouth watering memories where my mother boils peanuts in the cooker and give us as a evening snack.
We also buy two cones of 10 rupees each during our 8 hour long bus travels when we go to our grandparents’ home, Devakottai. Me and my brother love to peel the shell of the peanut and taste the soft, salty nut inside. We can’t wait to savor them as we peel the shell! Addictive type of snack!
It is one of the most of the traditional eaten snack of the Southern parts of India. Rather than eating raw peanuts,boiled peanuts have lots and lots of benefits!
The researchers who included a graduate student Yvonne chukwummah and Lloyd Walker PhD of Alabama a&m university bought peanuts from the grocery store.
Their list contains raw Virginia peanuts in the shell, raw peanut kernals and commercially boiled peanuts.
They boiled the raw peanuts for 4 hours while the peanuts still in their shell. They also dry roasted raw peanut kernels and also other peanut kernels in oil. The scientist made an extract from each batch of peanuts.
Lab test on the peanut extract show that the boiled peanuts contains a high level of antioxidants then the raw and roasted peanuts. While the peanuts are boiled in their shell the peanut kernels absorb the antioxidants present in the shell.
This can’t be happen in skinny type of peanut kernels. This research study appear in Journal of agricultural and food chemistry.
These antioxidants contain isoflavones which reduce the risk of Cancer, diabetes and other coronary heart disease.
Nutritional value of boiled peanuts (amount of 100g)
- Calories -318
- Total fat -22 g
- Saturated fat – 3.1 g
- Polyunsaturated fat -7 g
- Monounsaturated fat – 11 g
- Cholesterol. – 0 mg
- Sodium. – 751 mg
- Potassium -180 mg
- Total carbohydrate -21 g
- Dietary fibre -9 gram
- Sugar -2.5 g
- Protein – 14 gram
- Calcium -5%
- Iron -5%
- Vitamin B6. – 10%
- Magnesium -25%
2. Heart-healthy snack
Good source of nutrients and a heart healthy monounsaturated fat snack. In fact the process of boiling peanuts draws antioxidants from the shells giving boiled peanuts 4 times antioxidants present in raw peanuts.
Scientific evidence suggest that but does not prove that eating 1.5 ounces of peanuts which is non cholesterol and low fat in a diet reduce the risk of developing a heart disease.
It also contains a good source of potassium which helps to regulate heart rhythm.
2. Good for bones and teeth
A 1/2 cup serving of boiled peanuts provides 30 percent of magnesium and 25 percent of phosphorus
you need each day.Both of them is good for your bones and teeth.
3. Good for muscles
The minerals present in peanuts regulates nerve function and muscle contraction. Phosphorus helps your food convert into energy. It is a good snack for athletes. Zinc present in peanuts promotes own healing and has antioxidant properties.
4. Hair growth
Since peanuts are good source of proteins and amino acids, it promotes hair growth.
5. Energy up and weight loss!
Proteins energy dense snack.! Instead of choosing proteins eating with the meal, it can be better option to eat as a snack. They contain dietary fibres which elicites feelings of fullness and reduces hunger to delay your next meal. This promotes weight loss. It enhances palatability and nutrient intake without causing weight gain.
6. Increase folate levels for pregnancy
A woman can’t cross pregnancy period without recommendation of iron and folic acid tablets from her obstetric doctor. Peanuts contain 60% of folic acid. Half cup of peanuts contain 24 gram of proteins which is 47 % of daily requirement of protein uptake.
7. How to make boiled peanuts?
Cooking boiled peanuts is an easy fete. The hard thing about cooking boiled peanuts is making sure the salt measurement are correct. Boiled peanuts won’t be so good when the salt level is too high or the level is too low. They will be bland and tasteless without salt so adding them will be impressive.
Here’s how to cook boiled peanuts in Indian style using pressure cooker.
- Raw shelled peanuts – 1 Cup(It serves only for one person or it will be too less if he/she is too hungry)
- Water -2 cups (cups double the quantity of peanuts)
- Salt. -1/4 teaspoon
- Put the raw shelled peanuts in the pressure cooker and add 2 cups of water and salt.
- Close the cooker, put on high flame and wait for a whistle.
- After a vessel turn off the cooker and wait for the cooker to cool down.
- Open the cooker and your peanuts will be boiled and the water turn dense brown.
- If you noticed the peanuts have not been cooked well enough, set the heat to low flame again and slow cook till the next whistle.
- Don’t discard the water the peanuts have been boiled.It will be delicious!
- Your boiled peanuts are ready now.
- There is nothing tasty enough like sucking the salty deliciousness of a freshly boiled peanuts.
- There is no secret making in boiled peanuts. You just need to know the correct kind of peanuts, add the correct measurement of salt and store them correctly.
Originally posted 2020-07-10 09:22:33.