There will be a lot of questions running over a parent’s mind like is muskmelons good for my child? How to cook it? How nutritious is this? Will he like it? Will he get unwell by eating this?
If you notice your baby to getting interested in your full lunch than his boring milk bottle, that means he’s ready! He should at least six months to give weaning foods.
“The general thing is that your baby should sit up on her own and the neck muscles should have control before you offer her solids. We want to encourage to eat a variety of food from six months itself. Bright coloured fruits and vegetables are the most nutrient-dense foods and have added advantage of being visually appealing to your baby. ” explains Heather Lovelace, a registered dietician and professional practice leader at BC’s children hospital.
For today, we are going to see whether we can add muskmelons to his diet. Let’s dive straight now!
1. About Muskmelons
Muskmelon is a type of melons which is full of nutrients and vitamins. Cantaloupes are the most popular type of muskmelons. Do you know that muskmelons are native to India as well as Iran and Afghanistan?
In the first century AD, Romans found muskmelons and both the Greeks and Romans found that it could be used as a medicine or eat. China is the largest producer accounting for 51 per cent of the world in total. Other significant countries are Turkey, Iran, Egypt and India.
2. Nutritional Value Of Muskmelons
Amount per 100 grams
- Total fat. – 0%
- Cholesterol. -0%
- Sodium 16 mg. -0%
- Potassium 267mg -7%
- Total carbohydrate 8g. -2%
- Dietery fiber 0.9g. -3%
- Vitamin A. -67%
- Vitamin C. -61%
- B6 vitamin. -5%
- Magnesium. -3%
3. Health Benefits of Muskmelons
1. Rich Source of Vitamin A
According to the book ” Healing foods” by Dk publications, cantaloupes derive the bright colour from beta carotene which supports the overall eye health.
They contain zeaxanthin which is very good for eyesight and prevents vision-related disorders.
2. Helps In Obese Babies
They contain negligible fat content in them.they also contain a good amount of carbohydrates which are broken down into sugars.
They have a good amount of potassium which helps in reducing belly fat.
3. Boosts Immunity
Muskmelons are super rich in vitamin C which helps to boost immunity. Strengthening the immune system, they stimulate and increase the white blood cells which are used to defeat viruses and bacteria in our body.
They also prevent the premature ageing of cells.
4. Relieves constipation
They also contain a significant amount of dietary fibres which help to add bulk to their stools and prevents constipation.
5. Keeps Your Baby Hydrated
Musk melons are loaded source of vitamins and minerals. About 90% of muskmelon is just water. The water content in muskmelons makes your babies body hydrated. Eating muskmelons is one of the best tips to beat the scorching heat in summer.
6. For A Good Sleep
Muskmelons relax the nerves and muscles for your body which promotes good sleep for the baby.
7. Strengthens Heart And Hair
The vitamin B content and adequate protein content strengthen the hair for your babies. It is rich in caffeic acid and ellagic acid.
These antioxidants not only protects the cells but also protects the heart and prevent chronic diseases.
8. Good For Bones
The calcium content in muskmelon helps your baby’s bones and tooth structures to be strong. Millets are also the healthiest choice to add to your baby’s diet.
Let’s know get to know some of the good recipes instead of the plain idea of giving muskmelon juice. You can also add them in milk, yoghurt and cereal.
1. Muskmelon and Banana smoothie
- One small size muskmelon
- 3 pcs banana
- Two teaspoons of date sugar
- 2 cups of required milk
- Wash, peel and cut the muskmelons and banana into small pieces.
- Put the fruits into a big size mixer jar and blend the fruits well into a smooth paste.
- Now add sugar and milk. Check the taste and thickness. Look out for lumps as well.
- Serve a little cold. This is a very healthier choice for your baby.
2. Muskmelon Icecream
- 2 Small size muskmelon chopped into small pieces
- 3-5 tbsp sugar
- One cup of boiled and cold milk
- 1/4 cup of ice cream
- 1 tbsp pure ghee
- Add all of the above ingredients to a large bowl and mix them. Allow the date sugar to get incorporated for an hour inside the refrigerator.
- Let it chill thoroughly and serve this healthy icecream to your baby.
3. Muskmelon Sweets
- 1 1/2 cup of muskmelon puree
- 2 cup of desiccated coconut
- 3/4 cup of sugar(it’s probably healthy to use date sugar for your baby instead of white polished sugar)
- 1 packet of milk powder
- 2 tbsps of cashews and almond powder
- Almonds to garnish
- Dry roast the desiccated coconut for 3-4 mins on low flame and keep aside.
- Make a puree of muskmelon and keep aside.
- In a Kadai, take muskmelon puree and add sugar on low flame till it gets thickens slightly. Sugar should be adjusted with the sweetness of Muskmelons.
- Add milk powder and dry fruits powder.
- Add the desiccated coconut.
- Cook till the water dries completely.
- Turn off the flame and let the mixture to cool down. Roll them into small balls and garnish them with desiccated coconut and almonds. Check out the best healthy recipes for your baby!
- https://NDTV food.com
Originally posted 2020-04-02 15:16:39.