Not even a single passer-by can cross the shop without admiring the beauty of strawberries! Do you know that an average strawberry contains 200 seeds?
They aren’t true berries like blue berries and grapes. These beautiful berries have a separate museum in Belgium La musée de la fraise where you can buy everything from strawberry jams to strawberry beers.
The ancient Romans thought thay have medicinal powers. They uses strawberries to treat depression, fever, kidney stones, bad breaths and sorethroat.
So,why can’t we try them out for our babies? They can be pickled when they are green or unripe and can be made into a savouring jam when they are over ripe.
It’s so good to wonder that you could make your own healthy strawberry jam at home to treat your babies rather than choosing jam at stores with added preservatives. I will bring down the recipe below.
Let’s dive straight to know more about strawberries and amazing recipes you can make out of them for your teeth growing children.
1. How To Select Strawberries?
Well, How do you know that you are picking the right ones! Are they ripe enough? Or unripe? Are they overripe? Follow these simple tips that could be useful for you at anytime when you decide to buy them.
Look for bright red berries – look for the red colour from top to bottom.Those which are in green or half yellow are unripe and they won’t taste much.
Look for fresh green leaves- The longer the berries have been picked, the more wilty the leaves look. Fresh green leaves indicate that the berries are fresh too!
Look for plump berries- If they look dry, they are getting old.
Size doesn’t matter- Small berries are sweeter but bigger berries are delicious too!
Look for no signs of mold- If you can see one mouldy berry in one box, they are few more to get mold in a few hours.
So check before you buy them. Sometimes, a bad berry can hide below. So, make sure they are bright red,ripe and fresh!
2. Health Benefits Of Strawberries
May Protect The Heart
Strawberries contain anthocyanins ( the antioxidants responsible for their red hue) which protects the lining of the circulatory system, the shielding the arteries from plaque build up,regulates the blood pressure and promotes cardiovascular health.
Strawberries May Boosts Immunity
They are excellent sources of Vitamin C. A single serving of strawberries have more vitamin C than oranges.They trigger immune boosting antibodies which fights against infections.
Strawberries May Improve Brain Health
Strawberries containing a high amount of antioxidants protects the brain cells from damage due to free radicals. They boost the brain health tremendously by changing the way the neurons communicate with each other.
Strawberries May Improve Vision Health
They contain antioxidants which prevent cataract, macular degeneration and other eye diseases.
Keeps The Teeth Healthy
Strawberry contain malic acid which removes teeth discoloration.
Improves Hair Health
They are great sources of vitamin C, a nutrient that encourages iron absorption and promotes hair health. This Vitamin can also treat dandruff.
3. How To Store And Freeze Strawberries At Home?
- Arrange the berries with washing or removing the stems on a paper towel lined tray and cover with plastic wrap.
- Before eating them ,wash them under cool water and use straws to poke out the stems.
4. How To Make Strawberry Jam At Home?
- 2 pounds of fresh strawberries
- Sugar as needed
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- Crush all the strawberries until you get four cups of them mashed.
- In a heavy bottomed saucepan, add the mashed strawberries, white sugar and lemon juice. Still under low flame until the sugar dissolves.
- Increase the heat and bring the mixture to boil.
- Transfer the mixture to a dry sterile container. Refrigerate it.
- Your strawberry jam will be ready after sometime. Serve it to your baby with bread,smoothie,oatmeal porridges and even salads.
Note: Always follow the three day rule to your baby before introducing any new food.Fruits are more preferable until your baby completes 8 months.
5. To Make Strawberry Banana Puree?
- 3-4 ripe strawberry
- 1 ripe banana
- Wash the strawberries and bananas.
- Remove the leafy part of the strawberries by poking in a straw from the bottom of the strawberry. Chop the strawberries.
- Peel the banana and slice them into small pieces.
- Add the fruit chunks into a large mixer and blend them to the thinest. Look for for lumps properly or it may choke your baby.
- Serve the puree to your baby. This is super easy and quick for your hungry baby.