Are you bored of the same bananas and apples puree and not knowing what other fruits you can introduce to your baby?
Introducing the right solid of correct quantity is the top most thing you should be concerned about when your baby start taking solids.
Moms are always more concentrated on vegetables but they should not forget fruits too! Another thing is that, fruits are more tastier than vegetables and you don’t need to worry that your child will refuse to eat when you don’t make them the same boring apple and banana purees!
Many fruits are easy to mash, dice and mix into child-friendly preparations. They provide loaded nutrients and vitamins for the babies to grow. Of course, you should check with your pediatrician before introducing new fruits to your babies since some fruits may be acidic in nature and some may be allergic!
Although kiwi fruits are rare in India, they are numerous health benefits! Let’s dive straight into the topic!
1. When To Introduce Kiwi Fruit To Your Baby?
- It’s more preferable to add Kiwis to your child’s diet when he/she turns 8-10 months old.
- If a baby have previous fruit or nut allergies like rashes, sneezing, runny nose, indigestion, vomiting, diarrhoea, it’s good to introduce when he/she is 10-12 months old.
- The fruit is not a very high allergic fruits and it carries numerous health benefits.
2. Is Kiwi Safe For Your Babies?
They are packed with dietery nutrients but slightly acidic owing to vitamin which can give your baby loose stools and vomiting. Kiwi is not a highly allergenic fruit but you should be a little aware while giving this fruit.
3. How To Buy Kiwis?
- Start looking for a firm, unblemished fruit.Kiwis with gold colour are firmer than the brown ones which have slightly softer skin.
- Size doesn’t matter! Small and larger kiwifruits have the same taste.
- Choose kiwis that are full, rounded.
- Press the outside of the fruit with your thumb. If it gives a slight pressure inside,your kiwi fruit is ripen. If it’s doesn’t give to pressure, it’s still not ripen and not ready to eat. Unripe kiwi will have no scent.
4. How To Store Kiwifruits?
- Transfer unripe kiwis to a paperbag to ripe them faster.
- Kiwi is a fruit that produces a gas called ethylene which favours ripening of the fruit.
- Putting them in a paper bag traps the ethylene into the bag and favours faster ripening. You can also store them with other ethylene producing fruits like bananas, grapes,pears and peaches.
5. Health Benefits Of Kiwi Fruits
Promotes A Heathy Skin
The vitamin C properties present in kiwifruit contribute to the production of collagen in your baby’s body. This Vitamin also boosts the body’s ability to heal wounds.
They also contains vitamin E which has the ability to protect the skin against sunburn and other skin disorders.
The serotinin contents present in kiwis promotes a good sleep in adults.
Having significant amount of fibre,it is a good relief for constipation.
Being high in vitamin C, it boosts immunity and fight against infections.
It increases iron absorption from other foods.
Prevents Asthma And High Blood Pressure
Adding kiwi in diets prevents asthma and high blood pressure, kidney stones, obesity and promotes heart health in future.
6. Can I Give Kiwi Seeds To My Baby?
Yeah why not? You do not have to remove the seeds present in kiwi fruit. They are very tiny and don’t cause choking hazard. Its nothing to worry about when you see them in your baby’s diapers.
7. Should I peel The Kiwi Skin
Although, kiwi skin is packed with nutrients and vitamins, don’t serve kiwi fruits with their skin. Since the skin of kiwi fruit is so thick your baby may feel difficulty in chewing and it may also cause choking.
Simple Recipes Using Kiwi Fruits
1. Banana And Kiwi Puree
1 ripe kiwi fruit
1 ripe banana
- Peel the kiwi buy removing the skin from all sides to get only flesh.
- Slice the bananas into small pieces.
- Blend them together.
- Look out for lumps!
- Serve the puree to your baby!
Word of Caution
Always remember to check with your pediatrician before introducing new fruits to your babies since some fruits may be acidic in nature and some may be allergic!