Khichi is not associated with words like “sick and boring. Khichdi is one of the most nutritious food given for children and can be given with different varieties.
It is one of the most comfortable food to cook. It is prepared with rice, grains, fresh veggies, spices, ghee as main ingredients.
Start with little amount and increase the quantity gradually. It is well mashed food that your babies would definitely love!
Do you know that khichidi is described in the writings of Afinasy Nikitin , a Russian adventurer who travelled to the Indian sub continent in the 15 th century! Wow! It was very popular among Mughals, especially Jahangir.
Does your child like khichidi? Come on mothers, the recipe is in your hand! Let’s try some delicious recipes in which your child will finishes off his plate and ask for some more.
Diving to the recipes now!
1. Instant Moongdal Recipe
This is the most common recipes mothers would try out! Especially high in protein,this serves as an excellent food for 6 month babies.
Preparation time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 5 mins
- Parboiled rice- 2 tbsp
- Cooked Moong dal. – 1 tbsp
- Cumin seeds – a pinch
- Water – 1.5 cups
- Ghee. – 1/4 tsp
- Take 2 tablespoons of rice and one tablespoon of moong dal and wash it well. Dry it under the sun or shade for 1 hour.
- Take the dried rice and moong dal in a saucepan. dry roast under low flame until the rice turns puffy and moong dal turns golden brown. Add cumin seeds now. Turn off the flame.
- Grind the roasted items together in a mixer to get a fine powder. This is rice Dal porridge powder.
- Now add the rice Dal powder in a sauce pan and add ghee. Add 1.5 cups of water in it.
- Mix them well. Look out for lumps.
- Cook them in low flame for 5 minutes until they reached good consistency.
- Serve your baby.
2. Sabudana Veg Khichdi
Sabudhana is very good for developing the speech skills in your baby.It initiates movements in your baby’s tongue and it suitable food for your baby at 8 months old.
Preparation time-5 mins
Cooking time -5 mins
- Soaked sabudhana -1/4 cup
- Hot water – 1 1/2 cup
- Ghee. – 1 tsp
- Pepper powder. -1/4 tsp
- Mustard seeds – a pinch
- Garlic . – 2 pods chopped
- Carrot. – 1 tbsp chopped
- Potato. – 1 tbsp chopped
- Peas. – 1 tbsp
- Add ghee in saucepan, and then add all the vegetables you have prepared in little quantities.
- Add the garlic and pepper powder. Mix them well.
- Now add the soaked sabudana and hot water. Close the cooker and allow to 2-3 whistles.
- Once cooled,mix them well.
- Serve your baby!
3. Curd Oats Khichdi
The combo of ingredients contains calcium and phosphorus for bone strength as well as proteins and fat for babies rapid growth. It is a good hydrated dish for summer. It is not preferable at night since consumption of curd will lead to mucus development.
Preparation time- 5 mins
Cooking time – 5 mins
- Ghee – 1 tbsp
- Oats – 1 bowl
- Carrots – small finely chopped
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Jeera -1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves -5
- Add ghee to the non stick frying pan.
- Once the pan gets heated at the mustard seeds, jeera and curry leaves.
- Now at the carrots and let them cook for 2 minutes. Wait till they get semi cooked.
- Add the oats and fry for a minute.
- Now add water and cook for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Let them cool down.
- Add the curd and give a quick mix.
- Serve your baby.
4. Apple Kichidi
- Rice – 100 gms
- Moong dal – 30 gms
- Apple. – 1
- Cinnamon. – 1/4 tsp
- Make apple puree.
- Soak the rice and dal together for 15 minutes. Rinse them throughout.
- Add 250 ml of water to the rice and dal. Cook them in a pressure cooker.
- After the mix cools, pour the apple puree and cinnamon powder.
- Stir well and serve your baby.
5. Masala Khichdi
Not so spicy, this will give a different taste to your baby instead of giving the same bland dishes.
Preparation time- 3 mins
Cooking time. – 5 mins
- Rice – 1/2 cup
- Toor dal – 2 tbsp
- Moong dal -2 tbsp
- Onion. -1
- Cumin seeds. -1/2 tsp
- Cinnamon stick -small piece
- Ghee – required
- Turmeric powder – pinch
- Wash the rice and dal cleanly.
- Soak them for half an hour.
- Add the ghee to the cooker.
- Then add jeera, cloves and cinnamon to the ghee.
- Saute them well.
- Add the chopped onions.
- Then add the rice and dal.
- Add three cups of water and wait for 3 whistles.
- Serve your little one!
6. Daliya Paneer Khichidi
Paneer is a rich source of calcium which is essential for bone development of your babies.This is suitable for your babies at 8 months of age.
- Daliya – 2 tbsp
- Masoor dal- 1/2 tbsp
- Paneer -2 tbsp finely shredded
- Ghee – 1 tsp
- Cumin powder – 1 tsp
- Pepper powder -1 tsp
- Curry leaves – 3-4
- Warm water -1 1/2 cup
- Add ghee in the pressure cooker. Add curry leaves. Saute them on low flame.
- Add cumin seeds and rinsed dalia to the same mixture.
- Also, add masoor dal.
- Add pepper powder and Cumin powder according to your baby’s age.
- Add turmeric powder and grated paneer.
- Close the lid. Pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Serve your baby!
7. Green Gram Khichidi
- Rice. – 1 tbsp
- Green gram. -1 tbsp
- Home made ghee – 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds. -1/4 tsp
- Turmeric powder. -1/8 tsp
- Water. -1.25 cups
- Garlic. -1 clove
- Water rice and green gram and soak in water for 30 minutes.
- Put some ghee in the pressure cooker. Add cumin seeds. Let them crackle.
- Add the garlic after that.
- Drain the water from the soaked rice and green gram. Add to the cooker.
- Also, add a pinch of turmeric powder. Add 1 cup of water to it.
- Close the lid. Turn the stove on medium flame and cook for 5 to 7 whistles.
- After that, open the lid. Mash the rice well. Feed your baby.
8. Carrot Khichidi
- Rice – 2 tbsp
- Moong dal – 2 tbsp
- Cumin seeds -1/4 tsp
- Garlic. -1
- Turmeric powder -1/8 tsp
- Carrots. -1/4 cup grated
- Water. -1 cup
- Ghee. – 2 tsp
- Salt to taste. – for baby above 1 year
- Wash rice and moong dal thoroughly and soak it in water for 20 minutes.
- Heat a pressure cooker.
- Add two tbsps of ghee. Then, Add cumin seeds and let them crackle. Add garlic chopped. Saute for a minute.
- Add grated carrots. Cook the carrots well.
- Add the soaked rice and moong dal to the cooker. Give a quick stir.
- Add one cup of water. Mix them well.Close the lid of the cooker and cook everything in a medium flame for three to four whistles.
- Once the pressure releases,open the cooker. Mash it well. Serve warm to your baby.
10. Wheat Khichidi
- Broken wheat dalia -3/4 cups
- Moong dal. -1/4 cup
- Turmeric powder – a pinch
- Jeera. -1 tsp
- Onion. -1
- Garlic and ginger – mashed pieces
- Potatoes and carrots- optional
- Wash and soak the dalia for half an hour. Add ghee in the pressure cooker, and then add jeera until they crackle.
- Then add onion, ginger and garlic. Add the vegetables. Saute them well.
- Then add the moong dalia mixture along with four cups of water. Pressure cook for four whistles.
- After that, let them cool.
- Serve your baby.
Word of Caution
Always remember to start with little amount and increase the quantity gradually.
So you may know incase your baby is allergic or not comfortable with this food.