Achoo! It always begins with a sneeze which is believed to invite blessings in some cultures but it probably is a curse.
Cough, sorethroat, cold, red runny nose, puffy eyes, dry mouth catching you to put yourself in the bed with your hanky is too bad anyone could imagine! Don’t miss out the home remedies for cold!
And it’s even more worst when the cold virus catches toddlers and infants. Cold becomes the season’s greetings for winter so that these kids can’t go out to enjoy the cold wind or rain but stay cuddled with a warm blanket and eating the bland tasteless food.
Do you ever wonder why your children doesn’t like food during fever? Fever changes the way, we taste food. When we have fever, the body temperature rises and the higher temperature affects our oral cavity too.
The temperature changes the taste buds and the food goes tasteless when we eat.
Taking care of a sick kid brings worries to everyone in the family when it doesn’t get cured after some days. Kids get sick alot since they have been never exposed to many kinds of common viruses that most adults have built immunity too.
But parenting get easier with a few tips when you start to follow for your child. Now,we are going to see 20 superfoods to relieve cough and cold for your baby!
Home Remedies For Cold
1. Tulsi water
Tulsi leaves boiled in water along with cardomom brings down fever. It is a germicide and disinfectant and protects the body from all kinds of infections.
What to do
- Boil 7 fresh tulsi leaves in water.
- Let it cool.
- Give your baby 2-3 times a day and you will get amazed by the results. You can also add the leaves in the tea.This brings an aromatic flavour.
2. Turmeric Milk
Turmeric is the most important ingredient added in all foods in the Indian culture. It has amazing antiviral and antibacterial properties.
What to do:
- Add one teaspoon of turmeric to the regular milk you give your baby. Cow’s milk should be given only when your baby turns one year old as your baby’s tummy is too small to digest the proteins present in cow’s milk.
- Add 1/4 tsp of cinnamon powder and 1/4 tsp of black pepper powder.
- Serve warm.
3. Lemon Honey water
Honey have many medicinal properties and it’s one of the main components of several cough syrups. Lemon which is a good source of vitamin C helps to boost immunity.
4. Tomato soup
Tomatoes are typically not recommended for infants who are 10-12 months of age. The reason is due to possible allergies in which acid is present in tomatoes may be harsh for the baby’s tummy.
But since a good loaded source of vitamin C, it helps to boost immunity in children. This is a delicious home remedy for cold.
- One large onion, chopped
- 2 carrots,peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves ,finely chopped
- Two tomatoes,chopped
- Basil leaves
- Add oil to the pan and let it heat.
- Reduce the heat to low. Add the onions and carrots and saute them until cooked.
- Add the garlic and tomatoes. Cook them well.
- Pour water and stir.
- Blend the soup.
- You don’t need to add salt for your baby.
- Serve it warm.
5. Chicken Soup
- Chicken pieces with bones -1/4 kg
- One small Bay leaf
- Cinnamon -1
- Medium sized cloves -2
- Cumin seeds -1/4 tsp
- Ginger -1/2 tsp grated
- Garlic- 4 small cloves finely chopped
- One medium sized onion, chopped-1
- Pepper corns -1/4 tsp
- Coriander leaves – 1.5 tbsp chopped
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Pepper powder -1/4 tsp optional
- Turmeric powder – a pinch
- Water – 3 cups
- Heat a pressure cooker and add oil or ghee. Add cinnamon, cloves and cumin seeds. Let cumin seeds crackle.
- Add chopped onions, ginger and garlic. Cook them until they come golden brown. Now add the coriander paste and saute until raw smell leaves.
- Then add the turmeric powder and pepper powder. Mix everything well and add the chicken pieces. Saute it nicely for 5 minutes. Add three cups of water.
- Wait until 3 whistles.
- Let the cooker cool down
- Serve it warm for your baby!
It is a famous home remedy for cold among Tamil Nadu adu Cuisine made up of tamarind, tomatoes and black pepper. It is an effective relief for cold.
- Big ripe tomato, chopped- 1
- Black pepper. -1 tsp
- Cumin seeds. -1 tsp
- Garlic. – 3 cloves
- Turmeric powder.- 1/4 tsp
- Asafoetida. – 1/8 tsp
- Toor dal. -2 tbsp
- Water. -1 cup
- Oil. -1 tsp
- Mustard seeds. -1/4 tsp
- Coriander leaves. – optional for garnishing
- You can add 2 tsps of pepper but make sure it is not too spicy.
- Wash and cook toor dal with required water in a pressure cooker for three to five whistles in a medium low flame.
- Open the cooker once released, mash it well with ladle or spoon,keep it aside.
- First take the chopped tomatoes, peppercorns and cumin seeds in a mixer grinder and blend well. Grind them to a smooth paste by adding a cup of water.
- Heat a pan with tsp of oil or ghee, add mustard seeds and asafoetida. Let it splutter, then add chopped garlic and roast it for a minute.
- Now add the smooth paste along with turmeric powder. Saute in medium.low flame for 5 minutes until streaks of oil starts to appear. Add one cup of water along with mashed cooked toor dal.
- Boil it again until it becomes frothy in low flame. Don’t boil for more time as rasam will not taste good. Switch off the flame.
- Serve your baby rice with rasam. This will not be too spicy for your baby to consume during fever and it is an effective relief.
Hope the remedies for cold was useful to you! Check out the the best immunity boosting ideas for your children!
Try our Standard Health Mix for immunity booster for your baby.
Originally posted 2020-04-20 18:26:37.