Let’s start with cholera! Thinking that I am out of topic? Certainly not a dude! Cholera was a life-threatening disease that emerged out of the Ganges delta, India.
I am going to tell you about the wonders of karunguruvai rice! But before that, let me tell you something that you should definitely know!
The symptoms of Cholera is dehydration and acute watery diarrhoea for 7 days. It is a bacterial infection which is caused by which is caused by vibrio cholerae. Consumption of contaminated water and food are factors for this disease.
The disease quickly spread throughout most of India, Myanmar by travelling through the trade routes.
Sadly, 15 million people died because of Cholera between 1817 to 1860. In those days, hospitals and proper treatment were too insufficient.
Unfortunately, Cholera was hunting countless people. Furthermore, it killed around 80 lakh of people across the world.
Use As The Treatment For Cholera And Elephantiasis!
Such a deadly disease is treated with Karunkuruvai rice. To be clear, this rice and water are taken 1:3 ratio and stored in a mud pot 6 months. And then, it forms into a curd-like liquid.
This mixture was called Annakkadi. Fortunately, it was drunken regularly to defeat Cholera and other digestive issues.
Additionally, it also cures elephantiasis, which is a tropical parasitic disease. This spreads through mosquitoes and mainly affects lymph nodes and vessels.
Cooked karunguravai rice and milk of Euphorbia Antiquoram (Kalli paal in Tamil) and honey is used to make a lehyam. Gradually, the infection will reduce when it is applied on the affected part.
Before, Karunkuravai rice is the main ingredient of Siddha medicine those days. It has several medicinal properties related to skin diseases.
Also, it has been appreciated in many Siddha books starting with testimonials of Agathiyar, an influential scholar in Ramayanam and Mahabharatham.
- It is one of the traditional rice varieties and is native to the South Indian parts like Tamilnadu, Kerala and Karnataka.
- This rice variety is best harvested from December 15 – March 14 and Sun 1 – August 31. It can be harvested in 120 – 125 days.
- Moreover, this rice is said to be suitable for planting in Tamil Nadu during the Navarre season which begins in December – January. And also, the short season which begins in June -July.
- To your information, It belongs to the family Oryza Sativa.
2. Nature And Taste Of The Rice
The kernel of the rice is black in colour and the rice is red. The pretty combination isn’t it?
It is suitable for making dosa, idli and porridge and sweet paniyarams.
The recipes are found in the below of the article. Cook them and gift a delicious, healthy serving to your family. Also, if want to know about bamboo rice, read my previous article!
3. Health Benefits
- Firstly, Karunguruvai rice is used to cure leprosy (Kushtam in Tamil), an infectious disease caused by Mycobacterium leprae. It primarily affects the nerves of the extremities, skin lining of the nose and the upper respiratory tract. It is a contagious disease and extremely known for a very long time.
- Additionally, Wikipedia tells that it also has amazing properties to withstand poison bites.
- It also has the same anti-ageing benefits of Kaya Kalpa yoga ( a famous yoga done by Vedathri Maharishi).
- In the same way, this rice also cures frightening diseases like cholera and elephantiasis.
- his is also beneficial for improving the immunity for immunocompromised individuals.
- Karunguruvai rice has an important role in improving the bile functions and hormone secretions in our body.
- Surprisingly, it also enhances fertility properties.
- When compared to normal rice, it has 4 times more iron content(19 gm of iron per 100 gm of rice ). To be clear, it helps in the formation of red blood cells and contributes to immunity.
- Siddha recommends the Karunguruvai for patients suffering from Anemia, weakness, malnutrition and excessive cloud retention.
4. Recipes Of Karunguravai Rice
Now most of us are generally skipping our breakfast to hurry for our work. Isn’t this unhealthy? How about introducing a super duper easy breakfast for you!
And also, it is good and healthy drink porridge in the morning as most of us won’t have time as well as a hunger to sit and eat 🙂
Karunkuruvai Rice Porridge
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
- 1/2 kg of hand pounded rice
- 1/2 kg of Karankuruvai rice
- 200 gm of barley
- 100 gm of horse barn
- 2 tsp of shedded fresh coconut
- Salt to taste
- 3-4 cups of water.
- Firstly, clean the Karunguruvai rice under running water and let it dry for a whole day.
- Secondly, dry the horse barn and barley as well.
- Thirdly, grind them together.(The rice should not be ground to a fine powder!)
- Store them in a dry container.
- It will stay good for 4 to 6 months.
Now the preparation of porridge goes:
- Boil the water in a vessel.
- Add 1 or 2 cups of above made porridge mix.
- Mix them and let the rice cook.
- If you want your porridge watery, add more water and add salt to taste.
- Last but not least, mix thoroughly and serve hot!
Word Of Caution
If you are diabetic or hypertensive or any having any other health related problems, keep in mind that this product has not undergone rigorous scientific study and is not based on any medical advice.
Always discuss with your doctor before adding a change in your diet.
To conclude, our Standard Cold Pressed Oil are bringing back the tradition followed by our ancestors back! We deliver healthy organic products to your doorstep.
What’s more to think? There is no price for health right?
Buy them at best prices for your parents and grandparents and let us develop a healthy society together guys!
Originally posted 2020-02-15 23:23:53.