Walnuts are one of the oldest tree fruits known to man from 7000 BC. It is native to the region of Balkans streaching eastwards to Himalayas and Southwest China. The romans actually called walnuts as “Jupiter’s royal acorn”.
Walnuts looks like brain and they also helps to get a good brain.They are brain’s food!
– Dr.S Ramesh, Department of Orthopedics, Nagerkovil
Who is my uncle and one of the best doctors in South. (No wonder he has a energetic, active brain to teach us anatomy in his regular early morning lectures!)
Today the nut trade continues to be a well established structured business for all the countries to benefit their nutritional uses.
This article explains the
- source of walnut (well,we definitely need to know where these natural healthy seeds come from,because it didn’t fall from the sky right?
- other names of walnuts (imagine you are in a country where the people knows only their native language 🙂 hehe! that wasn’t a good joke!
- Nutritional boons of walnuts (You should know what it’s the nutritional value before eating anything right?)
- Nature, taste and aroma ( just a slight information before you come to the point “I dont want”)
- contraindications ( you definitely need to know before you develop rashes for eating it :p )
- Buying guide (So after reading about the stupendous walnuts,where will I get 100% best quality nuts? )
A walnut is edible seed of drupe and not a true botanical nut. It is the nut of any tree of genus Juglans. After full ripening the shell will be discarded and the walnut will be consumed as immediate energy dense garnish or a snack!
Here is a step by step guide of what is being involved to collect nuts!
- Walnuts at the beginning have yellow green husk which turns brown at the end. The diameter will be 2 inches and it fall to the ground until it harvest.
- Black walnut generally have a juicy substance called tannins so workers usually where gloves before staining their hands. Then the husk will be removed all together.
- Don’t worry about worms. They are from husk flies and generally don’t affect the the nets inside beyond the tough shell.
- Then the nuts are placed in the bucket and spread using a hose to remove as much gunk.
- Floating nuts are generally removed.( It’s a sign that they didn’t form properly.)
- The walnut are dried then. They are left to dry two to three weeks and protected from direct sunlight, squirrels and insects.
- Then,they are cured and stored in a cool place and packaged and traded across the globe!
- Apart from cracking the nut under a hammer, if you want to eat a whole some nut,soak them in little water so that they absorb it and will be easier to break 🙂 Nice tip though!
- Tamil-Vātumai kottai
- Hindi- akharot
- Gujarati- Akharota
Nature And Taste Of Walnuts
When you think about walnuts you may be go for a soft, spongy, fruity flavour but developers of walnut products have gone beyond to understand the walnuts’s multidimensional flavor. They are slightly bitter somehow because of the high tannin flavours. But why should you care about the taste when they are extra nutritious for your brain?
I personally don’t find bitterness unpleasant. It’s one of the should-be acquired taste. English walnuts are generally more preferable than black walnuts.
This crunchy walnuts make a better topping for desserts and ice creams. They also and in walnut cupcakes, honey cakes and cooked with brocolli and grated apple, banana and wine.
Yummmm :(I want those now!
Healthy benefits of walnuts
1. Rich source of antioxidants and Omega 3s
Walnuts are excellent source of antioxidants and their fight against oxidative damage and prevent the risk of plaque accumulation within arteries and developing dangerous cardiovascular diseases.
Walnuts are also loaded with Omega 3 which is also called Alpha linolenic acid. it is an essential fat that should be added in your diet to reduce the risk of heart attack.
According to the Institute of Medicine, adequate intake of ALA is 1.6 and 1.1. grams per day for men and women respectively. A single serving of walnuts meets that guideline.
2. Good for your brain
Apart from really looking like a brain, nutrients found in brain including polyphenols polyunsaturated fat and vitamin E fight against oxidative damage and reduce inflammation in the brain.
Observational studies have undergone in elders having a practice of eating walnuts which prove that they have a better brain function,faster processing and a good memory.
3. Weight Management
Researches prove that diets including walnuts have greater effects of reducing weight.
Research published in Asia public journal of clinical nutrition proves that, protein nut consumption has lead to high energy used while resting.
4. Reduction Of Gallstones
Researchers approve that regular nut consumption have reduce the risk of cholecystectomy which is done to remove the gall bladder when your cholesterol levels go high. The research have appeared in American journal of clinical nutrition.
5. Improve Bone Health
Walnuts are loaded with copper, magnesium and manganese. Severe copper deficiency will lead to brittle bones and develop osteoporosis which is some major bone enemy found in most old aged people.
Copper also play an important role in maintaining collagen and elastin. Eating walnuts reduce the risk of joint dysfunction.
Caution to note:
Gastrointestinal issues– Over consumption of walnuts can lead to abdominal bloating stress diarrhoea and digestive issues. Since it contains lot amount of fat and dietary fibre, it may cause gastrointestinal issues when consumed in excess.
Allergy– Some people may develop allergy due to walnuts. The symptoms will be generally sneezing, runny nose, shortness of breath itchy throat and nasal congestion. The most dangerous allergic reaction is anaphylaxis when your body develops difficulty in breathing and sends into a state of shock.
Weight gain – Studies of shown that over consumption of walnuts have also cause adverse effects of weight gain but this is for a very low percentage.
Our standard cold pressed oils company have a large number of traders and suppliers to spread across the valley and are purely committed to deliver you the 100% best quality walnuts.
Treat yourself the best quality walnuts and present them to your loved ones. Remember the health is the best gift that anyone could present for your old grandparents, parents and friends.
So don’t take more time to think under your busy schedule and try our walnuts to get an upmost satisfaction! Hope you will be pleased at the end!
Originally posted 2020-02-02 15:50:26.